Thursday, April 9, 2009

Study Links Alcohol and Bicycle Deaths

Some 21 percent of autopsies for New York City bicyclists who died within three hours of their accidents detected alcohol in the body, according to a Department of Health and Mental Hygiene study that examined fatal bicycling accidents in New York City from 1996 to 2005. Linky.


It doesn't seem like a very good study, but it certainly raises questions about the role aware, defensive riding can play in mitigating accidents with cars. I'm not trying to preach or anything (y'all know me), just thought I'd offer something to talk about besides the bike lanes to nowhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

post something about your rapha ride unless that's purposefully under the radar...

jmgorman said...

no, I just didn't want to toot my own horn. I'll put something up soon.