Friday, October 28, 2011

Chrome Midway Pro

On our recent trip to Chicago I stumbled upon the Chrome boutique in Wicker Park. I really hadn't planned on buying a new bag but I figured I'd go in and take a look. We skipped past the bags and headed right for the shoes. Now I definitely don't have as many shoes as Em but I have quite a few. Several friends have some Chrome shoes and they like them but I was interested in the SPD compatible models. Until now I would wear my cycling shoes and carry a pair of regular shoes in my backpack and I'm always looking for a way to reduce the amount of stuff I need to carry. I opted for the Midway Pro, a mid-top shoe that will give me a bit of ankle support and also be a good winter shoe.

My first ride was pretty positive. The cleat bridge is pushed more forward than my other shoes so I had to make some adjustments mid commute but after that I was on the ball again and riding comfortably. The next morning I was a little flustered when my cleat released as I was taking off from the light at Cooper and Union. Thinking that it was just a fluke I tried to purposefully pull out from that spot again and I hit my knee on my handlebar! Now I was hurt and frustrated. I took it easy the rest of my commute. I know that I can put a shim under the cleat to improve the cleat/pedal interface but that would negate the purpose of having an SPD street shoe - the cleats should not contact the ground when I'm walking around.

">


Anyone else with these shoes experiencing this same issue? Solved this issue? I'm going to keep riding them because they still do their job; maybe they will improve with wear?

No comments: