Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Memphis Bicycle - Bombay Bicycle Club



This picture doesn't tell the whole story. For Crimma my mother gifted a book: "Cooper Young; A Community That Works" (in which our good friend Anthony Siracusa gets a favorable mention!) and after I read it it got me thinking of a neighborhood a little closer to me: Overton Square. It gets a few mentions in the CY History (as a place to come watch a man parachute from a hot air balloon) and I've heard Em's grandmother talk about Overton Square as the place to be when she was growing up. Then I stumbled upon this history of Overton Square and I was like woah! I remember TGI Fridays when the sidewalk area was glassed in - Ryan, Jay, Cliff, Kevin and I would grab some Sunday brunch to cure our Hi-Tone hangovers. Midtown Bikes was right next to Memphis Pizza Cafe and I remember when The Public Eye was torn down. But I really wish I could have gone to the Bombay Bicycle Club. I only know those little doors and that plaque.

But the Square is on the rise again with the help of Loeb Properties and I can't wait to see what the future holds.

No comments: