Thursday, April 7, 2011

Powerhouse Bicycle Rack #2 and #3

IMG_20110317_110125Do you remember the first Powerhouse bicycle rack? Well when we take that 9 bike and add to it another comfortable 27 (I consider myself a professional when it comes to loading up a bicycle rack - 4 days a week for almost 4 years; fenders, racks, pegs, no problem. You can definitely get more than 18 on that long silver rack.) we have the potential to rack 36 bikes.

The silver rack is old school. I think that is exactly like my grade school bicycle rack. I would ride to school on my Schwinn Predator. My mom took me to a police auction (do they do these any more?) and told me I could spend $25. The first bike I bid on went above that but this grey and pink beater I won for about $10. Of course it needed some work and I got it back from the shop about a week later and I was the fastest kid on the block.

The green rack is new, a Jill Turman creation. The curvature like waves on the river. You'll see this style of rack throughout downtown Memphis. I wonder if Jill has put this rack in other cities or if we can officially term it the Memphis Rack. Now that I think about it, it kind of resembles ribs as well. Mmmm...

Here's how they rack up:
#2 (the old school silver rack)
Form - Dual-sided
Function - Pass
Environment - If this were at a prison it would fit in.

#3 (the Jill Turman "Memphis Rack")
Form - Artistic
Function - Pass
Environment - River, Ribs; pick one

Points of Interest for both racks: Farmer's Market, South Main, The Warehouse

1 comment:

myshoeshurt said...

that ride to school link is great!